Preparing for NordVPN Merlin Setup
Obtain your NordVPN manual Username and Password
If you are not already an NordVPN user Sign Up Now.
1. Log in to your account on the NordVPN website.
2. Click NordVPN on the left hand side and then click Setup NordVPN manually.
3. Enter in the verification code that was sent to your email.
4. Copy and paste your NordVPN manual username and password to a secure location. This is the username and password you will enter into the router settings to connect to NordVPN.
Download your NordVPN .ovpn file
1. There are two options for obtaining the .ovpn file. The first and recommended is to navigate to NordVPN’s server recommendation page. Click Recommended Server to display the fastest server based on your actual location. You can adjust the country if you don’t want to connect to the recommended country.
Then click Show Available Protocols. Click Download Config next to OpenVPN UDP. This will download the .ovpn file to your computer for this server. Do not open this file.
The second method to obtain a server is for connecting to a specific server number that you know you want to use. This applies to NordVPN Dedicated IP servers if you are signed up for that service. Go to NordVPN’s .ovpn file page. Then search for the server number that you want to use and click Download UDP.
Merlin Router Setup for NordVPN
Login to Asus Merlin firmware settings in a browser on any computer or smart device connected to the Merlin FlashRouter’s network.
1. Navigate to the VPN tab.
2. Navigate to the VPN Client tab.
3. Click Choose file and select the .ovpn file you downloaded earlier. Then click Upload.
4. Set Automatic Start at boot time to Yes if you want the VPN connection to begin automatically when the router is powered off and back on.
5. In the Description field enter in the name you’d like to use for this OpenVPN Client profile. We typically advise entering in the location or server number here. Our example server was in us5835.nordvpn.com so I have entered in NordVPN us5835.
6. Set Accept DNS Configuration to Strict. Set Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to Yes (all). Set Kill Switch to Yes or No depending on if you want the Internet to be killed if the VPN connection drops.
If you only want certain devices to connect to the OpenVPN Client profile you are setting up instead of all the devices connected to the FlashRouter’s network please set the Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel to VPN Director. Then complete the instructions on this page and then view our VPN Director guide.
7. Enter your NordVPN username and password that you obtained earlier in the Username and Password. Note that these are different from your NordVPN email login and password.
8. Click Apply at the bottom of the page.
9. At the top of the page set the Service State toggle to ON to activate the VPN connection.
Verify a successful NordVPN connection
- You should now see a CONNECTED message.
- Visit NordVPN’s IP Check to verify your new IP address and virtual location.
In some cases you may notice that the location is not showing the same location as the server you have input in your router settings; this is because geo tracking tools are often tricked by VPN connections. As long as you see an IP address that is not the same as your normal Internet IP address then you are indeed connected to NordVPN.
How to change the NordVPN server
- Follow the steps at the top of the page to obtain a new .ovpn file.
- Then proceed with the settings same as initial setup.